08 January 2007

Datk matter map of the universe




This 3D map of the dark matter in the Universe has been all over the prers today and very impressive it is too.

Apparently dark matter neither reflects nor emits light and it makes up the bulk of the mass of the universe. It is all very fascinating but I do have a big problem - I just can't get my head around this even though I have watched every episode of every incarnation fo Star Trek! If anyone can suggest a simple book with short words and lots of pictures I would be very grateful!

2 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Indeed Bryan, what particularly mystifies me is the discussion of the various particles that Dark Matter may be made up of - Axions, WIMPs etc.. Physics was never my strongest subject...

Agreed it is a theory. It could well be that scientists have this totally wrong. On the other hand they probably have a largely if not totally correct idea of what Dark Matter is.

jams o donnell said...

I think you are right there. If dark matter can be observed and studies it will probably turn some disciplines on their heads.

I will admit though that physics is one of my blind spots (along with calculus and anything more complex in maths)... I doubt things will change hugely there!