28 May 2007

Lucky to be alive!

It is Memorial Day in the United States. Here it is the late spring bank holiday. It's cold and it has been pissing down. I have been planning to write a some historical posts on the Munster Fusiliers, my grandfather's regiment in WWI and the RAF Pathfinder Force (my father served in 109 squadron). I will get around to them over the spring and summer.

What does strike me is that I am bloody lucky to have been born! My grandfather was captured during the Etreux rearguard action on 27 August 1914. Had he not been taken prisoner he would have had plenty of chance to spill blood between then and 11 November 1918:

Cap badge, Munster Fusiliers

  • In 1914 in the Ypres Salient offensive and the Festubert battle.
  • In May 1915 at the Rue du Bois battle where the 2nd Munster's suffered many losses to friendly artillery fire. Before engaging in battle, absolution was administered to the battalion by their Chaplain Francis Gleeson and is subject of the famous (well famous to me) painting by Fortunate Matania. 22 officers and 520 men went in to battle, 3 officers and 200 men returned.

    The last Absolution by Matania
  • In september during Loos sector battles.
  • In June 1916 during raids on German lines at Lievin
  • In July in the attack on the village of Contalmaison.
  • In September to December in the defence of Martinpuich and the Somme offensive.
  • July 1917 in the Nieuport defence.
  • In November at Passchendale
  • In March 1918 in action at Epehy, Tincourt, Doingt, Chuignolles and Mericourt sectors.
  • In October at Le Catelet, Foret de Mormal and River Selle sectors.
The second Munsters was wiped out several times over during WWI. A POW camp in Limburg in Germany was probably the safest place for him!

I am grateful to Jams O'Sullivan and his superb Munster Fusiliers site for this infiormation

2 comments:

Alison said...

I always say I'm lucky to be here too. My grandfather I mentioned last WW was shot and believed dead in the trenches. One of his friends saw him and made sure his body was put on the cart. If not for him - who knows?

Btw, be grateful you had (an albeit wet) bank holiday. We don't get one here. :-(

jams o donnell said...

Bloody hell Alison. Your grandfather had a a lucky break, no doubt about that.

It was a not much happening weekend this one.. It was pissing down (I did get to see my favourite musician though)