22 June 2007

Turning the Place Over



Liverpudlians are being treated to the sight of a city centre building turning itself inside out. Sculptor Richard Wilson has cut out an egg-shaped section of a derelict building front and fixed it to a giant pivot. The facade will rotate like a huge opening and closing window, giving passers-by a glimpse of the interior.


The artwork, called Turning The Place Over, is part and parcel of Liverpool’s year as European city of culture will run until the end of 2008. The cut-out, which measures eight metres across, rests on a rotator usually found in the shipping or nuclear industries.

Is it art? Is it great art? Well I like it and I certainly could see myself spending a good long time watching it. Even if you think it is pointless, there are far worse things you could do to a derelict building prior to its demolition.

4 comments:

Steve Bates said...

And how many passers-by, on first viewing the rotation of the disc, promptly swore off strong drink altogether?

Anonymous said...

I imagine it could be quite breath-taking the first time you see it.

Elizabeth-W said...

I don't know what it means, but I think it's pretty dang cool, regardless of if it is "art" or not. Would I rather money be spent on that, or on more music/art education in elementary schools? (something that seems in my opinion to be sadly lacking here) I mean, did Liverpool pay for that, or the artist himself?

jams o donnell said...

I was thinking that too Steve. If I doidn't know what it was I'd re think my alcohol intake,

I daresay the novely will wear off - like anythine it becomes part of the backgroudn after a while Roger.

Elizabeth I'm not totally sure how it was funded. I am always uncomforatable that schools etc are not well funded while other lesser priorities get money.I am not sure if the council paid it all though.