09 June 2008

Doomsday set for Thursday (perhaps sooner)

Are you hoping for Armageddon, but just can’t wait for the Mayan end-time prophecies to come true in 2012? Then there is good news: nuclear war will begin on Thursday (or sooner) according to Yisrayl Hawkins (left), founder of the House of Yahweh (a religious sect in Abilene, Texas rather than a restaurant).


Hundreds of truck trailers have been loaded with food and water on the group's 44-acre compound, in preparation for the coming war. However this is not the first time he predicted the outbreak of nuclear war. Hawkins previously set Sept. 12, 2006 as the beginning of the end. His followers produced an on-line video with a countdown to doomsday. In Kenya, hundreds of his followers actually hid in basement bomb shelters and donned gas masks on the date. They went home in humiliation when there was no war.

Former members say there is a method to Hawkins' madness, that the doomsday predictions help him make money and keep disillusioned members from leaving, for fear they will be killed when the end comes. Top of Form

Bottom of Form


"He's been saying just give me two more years, we're right at the end," said former member Miriam Martin who left in 2004. Why would you give up now? That's how he controls people, is through fear," Other former members say they are required to buy doomsday food and supplies from a company that Hawkins owns personally, Life Nutrition Products. "Everything that he preaches has to do with people buying something," said former House of Yahweh elder David Als of New York City. Like many of the his followers, Als actually legally changed his last name to Hawkins because he became convinced that only those named Hawkins would be saved.


Hawkins says as a prophet he knows that nuclear outbreak will come 'round the great river Euphrates. In addition to dealing with the beginning of the end, Hawkins is also dealing with some serious legal problems - he is facing felony bigamy charges He has pleaded not guilty to the charges and says he is being targeted because authorities do not like his brand of religion.


Ah well no end of the world this week I would guess, Ah well I’m sure another Prophet will be along soon.

15 comments:

CherryPie said...

Yes I am sure there will be another one along next week ;-)

jams o donnell said...

I'm sure!

Bill Quango MP said...

Just leave me in power until 2011 and I will bring electoral victory. I erm , I am, the erm New messiah.

jams o donnell said...

You never know. Major grabed victory from the jaws of defeat!

jams o donnell said...

In 1992 that is

roman said...

A very unusual marketing scheme to sell groceries. I would guess that his devotees only purchase the best tasting (not the healthiest)products. "A slab of bacon with those four eggs, please!" No need to worry about long-term health effects. :-)

jams o donnell said...

Haha Roman.. Definitely a case of "Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!"

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Everything's bigger in Texas. It may sound cliche but its true!

We even grow our crazies bigger and better than anywhere else. :)

Nunyaa said...

Seems to be a few of them cults around. Sad that many fall into the trap of believing.

maryt/theteach said...

Never heard of this guy, jams/ Surprising, some of the media like this kind of thing. Just shows how ridiculous it is! Would you follow that guy? - look at his face in the photo... :)

jams o donnell said...

You surely do EWBL!

Joking aside I do agree Nunyaa

I suppose it is one iof thes "laugh at teh loony" type items.. whcih I must admit I'm partial to myself, Mary. On the otehr hand if we go boom tomorrow then he was right!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Good stuff. I hope the guy is serious enough to pack enough beer for the emergency.

jams o donnell said...

I hope he did and I hope his hangover feels like armageddon is taking place in his head!

Andree said...

I watched a PBS TV show on Isaac Newton. He predicted that the world will end in 2060. I have to do more reading on that one. If you can't believe Isaac, who can you believe?

jams o donnell said...

Hmm if Isaac says 2060, then so be it. I'll be 97 if I'm still around!