04 October 2008

And now the ridiculous or should that just be dreadful

WErik Satie said "The musician is perhaps the most modest of animals, but he is also the proudest. It is he who invented the sublime art of ruining poetry". Erik is perhaps wrong. Many poets have shown they had that art in spades, including Georgina Bailey Parrington:


AN ELEGY TO A DISSECTED PUPPY

Sweet Dog! now cold and stiff in death,
What cruel hand enticed thee here?
Did toothsome crust of juicy bone
Allure to stretch on thy bier?

... ruthless hands of alien race
Are opening up thy quiet breast,
With prying eyes they peer within,
Explore the contents of thy chest.



I will admit that I have greater access to atrocious verse since the not-wife gave me a copy of Very Bad Poetry by Katherine and Ross Petras. It is a must-have book!

13 comments:

CherryPie said...

We will know who to blame next time then ;-)

Frank Partisan said...

Erik Satie is incorrect.

See: Cole Porter

jams o donnell said...

Ah Ren I simply used it as a lead into the post!

Princess said...

Poor dog!

jams o donnell said...

poor dog indeed Princess!

jmb said...

I knew it. I'll bet it was in the remainder section. However you are enjoying it so, perhaps not.

This is just too gross.

jams o donnell said...

She got it to fuel my love of life's offal! Luckiluy a lot is already available online

James Higham said...

Dissected puppy?

jams o donnell said...

Aye a dissected puppy!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Many thanks, Jams, this "toothsome crust of juicy bone" will stay with me forever now.

jams o donnell said...

Glad to be of service Snoopy!

Ms Smack said...

I love Satie's work. I have several of his more famous pieces! They're just divine.

jams o donnell said...

Agreed his work is sublime