11 January 2010

According to the Telegraph a film production company is looking for a terminally ill person to volunteer their body to a reality tv show in which they will be mummified and possibly displayed in a museum...

The volunteer would be filmed in the run-up to their death so that viewers have "a proper emotional response" to them when they pass away and are mummified.

Fulcrum’s TV’s executive producer, Richard Belfield, spoke about his plans to an undercover reporter from The Independent who posed as a possible volunteer.

“We would like to film with you over the next few months to understand who you are and what sort of person you are so the viewers get to know you and have a proper emotional response to you,” he said. “It may sound rather macabre but we have mummified a large number of pigs to check that the process worked and it does. We have lined up scientists to support the project and found a place approved by the Human Tissue Authority where the mummification would take place

“Afterwards one thought was - though this is not obligatory - to put the body in an exhibition in a proper museum so people can properly understand the mummification process. That is something we would be flexible about. But we would like to keep the body for two or three years to see that the mummification process worked. Then the normal funeral arrangements could be made.”

A Channel 4 spokesman told The Independent that the research into Egyptian chemical practices could have implications for modern science. “We’re fascinated by the research that is taking place," he said. "If the scientists are able to find a willing donor we’d be interested in following the process.

Hmmm..... Well at least there is no indication that it will be celebrity vehicle with canopic jar challenges and the like.

8 comments:

kellie said...

I wonder were they inspired by my friend Ted's head offer.

jams o donnell said...

Wow! I am surprised I missed that story byt what an offer!

Nevin said...

I don't know about you Jams, but I am finding this news a little disturbing... I dread to think what else will we see in our TV screens for entertainment?

jams o donnell said...

I can think of more tasteful tv Nevin!

CherryPie said...

I find the thought of that incredible tacky and in poor taste on the film companies part.

jams o donnell said...

Agreed Cherie!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Barf-inducing in my humble... but what do I know, I am not an avid watcher of the box...

jams o donnell said...

It does seem rather tasteless to me too Snoopy